Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Western Wednesday: Blazing Saddles

Pretty awesome western comedy we got here.  I didn't know what to expect but I liked everything about this movie except the final 10 minutes.  Mel Brooks is pretty good.  I've seen most of his films and this one is kind of up there.  Okay, Spaceballs and Life Stinks are my favorites.  Here we have a parody of the west.  These big time government officials want to make a railroad but they need to get rid of a peaceful town in order to do so.  So they try to ruin the town.  The town rebels retaliate and they demand a sheriff to help them out.  The governor appoints them a black sheriff thinking the sheriff won't last.  The town is in shocked because of this black sheriff.  Little by little, the sheriff proves himself and he teams up with a drunken gunslinger (played by Gene Wilder) and together they help protect this town.  Big battle scene at the end.  Oh, and this has the famous line: "Badges?  We don't need no stinking badges!"  The last 10 minutes gets out there when all of a sudden the film takes out of the west and into a film studio in Hollywood.  Didn't like that part much. 
Good comedy western I wouldn't mind buying.  I would also like the governor's secretary to be my secretary.  Wink, wink!