Friday, June 12, 2015

Jurassic World (2015)

Life finds a way!  I just wanted to start this blog post with that line.  So I purposely didn't read
any reviews or even went to Rotten Tomatoes until after I saw the movie.  I wanted to go in with a clear mind.  Here are my thoughts: I liked it for a big blockbuster but nothing special or magic like the first one.  Not enough to see it again.  It entertained and the dinosaurs were great, well, most of them.  Some decent thrills.  The things I didn't like was some of the poorly written characters and some unnecessary stuff.  I had a big problem with our main character.  No, I'm not talking about Chris Pratt's character.  I'm talking about Claire played Bryce Dallas Howard.  She was very unlikeable so I wanted bad things to happen to her like getting eaten by a dinosaur.  Since this is Holywood, her character is predictable.  After halfway through, her character changes from a cold blooded business woman to a caring aunt and respectful human being.  I hated all the scenes where she was running all over the place with high heels on the whole time (at least they look like high heels to me).  Kudos to Chris Pratt for playing a different role from his usual comedic slacker roles.  He's a badass here except that they made his character way too smart. A lot of other things I didn't like but I'm not going into too much detail here.  Anyways, there was one big payoff towards the end: the dinosaur vs dinosaur fight!  I'm not naming names so this is a bit of a spoiler but not too much.  That's it.  They had some very good ideas but not well developed.
If you plan to see it at some point in your life, my advice is to see it as big as possible.
Okay popcorn movie.
Giving this a 6 out of 10.