Monday, July 28, 2014

Patrick

This Australian remake of an Australian exploitation classic was okay.  It tried with a few scares near the beginning.  I haven't seen the original but I heard about it through two ways:  one time through a Tarantino Kill Bill reference guide (the scene where the Bride spits at Earl McGraw in Kill Bill is a reference to Patrick) and second through the documentary, Not Quite Hollywood.  This remake came out at Fantastic Fest last year.  It's about a guy named, Patrick. Duh.  That's a given.   He's in a coma but somehow he communicates with the new nurse by spitting.  This hospital is a weird hospital hidden in a rural Australian village.  Crazy shit is happening here. The main doctor is an evil son of a bitch.  This movie deals with telekinesis and experimentations.   Like I said, there are a few scares but nothing special.  Kudos for the original story.
I won't recommend this horror, I usually don't since I'm not a big fan of a lot horror nowadays. Last horror that was awesome and scared the hell out of me was The Conjuring.   I'm pulling a double feature and playing another horror from last year's Fantastic Fest.  Next up: Afflicted.