Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Deliver Us From Evil (2014)

Saw this late tonight with my brother Phillip who came to visit.  He wanted to go to the Alamo Drafthouse. It was between this or that Transformers movie. We went with this, obviously.   Deliver Us From Evil felt like a cross between the movies, Seven and The Exorcist. Pretty evil stuff. Some scenes are overtly dramatic but other scenes were pretty interesting.   There were a few scenes that were creepy but nothing that made me jump out of my seat. In other words, to me, this wasn't scary. Good for an exorcist thriller.  Love that they used a bunch of music by The Doors.  The songs are actually referenced in the story.  Eric Bana plays a detective chasing these evil looking guys who are all connected as a group of soldiers that went to war together.  Edgar Ramirez plays a priest who tries to get the evil out of these creeps. Like some movies about exorcism,  this one gets preachy towards the end.  Pretty entertaining for a late night movie. It isn't The Conjuring though.  The Conjuring scared the living crap out of me last year, and to this day, I still have nightmares. Okay, maybe not that extreme, but still a good horror movie. 
Okay to check out especially as a rental. If you have an exorcism section,  this might be worth buying just for that section.  I need to check out Sinister by the same director.