Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yojimbo

SHAME ON ME WEDNESDAY

[The second Wednesday of every month
I'll see a movie that I am ashamed
to admit I've never seen before.
A movie that most have seen
and it's usually referenced in pop culture.
As a fan of cinema, I shouldn't have missed
these movies, but I did, so shame on me.
This will give me the chance to catch up on those
movies.]

This month, my focus is Foreign Films.

The following five foreign films I've never seen
before:

Breathless
Yojimbo
Rashomon
Les Diabolique
Brotherhood of the Wolf

According to two of my film experts,
I should see Yojimbo or Rashomon.
I made the executive decision on this one and
went with Yojimbo.
It's more popular and well known because
of the remakes and all.

Runner Up: Rashomon


Yojimbo
Akira Kurosawa.
That's a powerful name according to all the film buffs.
I've seen Seven Samurai and Ran.
Tonight, I saw this one for the first time.
I can't say that I'm ashamed because
I'm not really a fan nor do I really connect
with these movies.
But, I gave it justice.
Slow movie, but that's the norm for
every Kurosawa movie.
I mean, I can't expect full on action
or Michael Bay bullshit.
But expect a work of art on the screen.
This blog is about being honest
and true to myself.
I didn't really feel this movie.
I tried.
I love the shots.
But, this wasn't for me.
I know I might get crap for it because
this is known to be one of the best works
in cinema history.
But if I'm being honest,
I liked A Fistful of Dollars a lot more.
I'm not here to say or judge what the "best" film
is. Who am I to judge?
And I hate being called a critic.
I'm just a fan of movies and that's it.
I'm here to report what my favorites are and which ones
are alright to me, and which ones are not for me.
I can't say "best" but I can say "my favorite" better.
And this is my opinion. I'm no Siskel and Smigel.
I'm not here to breakdown the plot and discuss
every element. I'm here to say what "I" like and etc.

Sorry for the b.s. explanation. I know I'm supposed
to make comments on this movie.
But this movie is a perfect example of how I view movies in general.
Maybe is not a good idea to see a Kurosawa movie at 2am.
Life is not perfect.
Maybe I had one too many beers.
But these are my comments.
I respect this film just like every film out there but
it wasn't for me.