Thursday, January 20, 2011

Street Mobster

YAKUZA NIGHT THURSDAY

Every third Thursday of every month of this year,
I'll be watching a yakuza flick.
Love the yakuza genre but haven't really seen a whole lot.
There's a lot of classics out there.
This will help me explore these Japanese movies.
I'll be watching a few from directors,
Kinji Fukasaku, and Takashi Miike, as well other
yakuza flicks from the 60's and to the present.


We kick off Yakuza Night Thursday with a Kinji Fukasaku classic.
I did my research and found out this
director is the master of yakuza films.
For those not familiar, this is the director who's famous
for Battle Royale and The Yakuza Papers series.
This movie tonight kicked some serious ass.
I was hooked right from the start.
Love the style.
The main yakuza dude here is a ruthless street punk.
Then you have all the big shots at the end
in a yakuza shootout.
This came out in the 70's and it has
that Grindhouse touch to it.
Love that film grain.
I wouldn't want to see a very sharp crisp picture
to this movie in blu-ray.
That would take away the grindhouse magic.
Traditional yakuza stuff:
cutting off pinkies as a form of apology
and treating women bad.

Highly recommend this for fans of Japanese cinema.
A must buy for me.
This is a good start for Yakuza Night.
I had me 18 pieces of sushi to go with this.
Might have to make that a tradition.

I couldn't find a trailer to this movie
but I'll post a trailer to another yakuza trailer
by this same director.
The original Graveyard of Honor: