Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Animal Kingdom


Animal Kingdom
Strong but subtle film.
There were some intense moments.
And a little unpredictable.
This is not a movie that gets all in your face.
It has its shiny moments.
Love the metaphor of the whole thing.
I mean, the title itself is a metaphor.
The mom is the lion and she's there to protect her cubs.
A lot of the action is done off camera.
We mostly see that this family has a criminal background,
and there's some crazy moments.
Would of love to see more of this crazy family in action.
But it's a character-driven movie.
One of my favorites parts: where the mother steps in towards the
end and orders to get rid of her grandson.
Her performance there left me speechless.
Pope reminds me of a psychotic Gary Oldman character.

If you're in the mood for a strong Australian crime drama
check this out. Worth your time. This is a movie that might
grow on me. If after a while, this movie has me thinking of some
of the scenes, I might have to add this to my "to buy" list. We'll see.