Thursday, July 29, 2010

One Missed Call

Catching Up With A Director Segment

July is almost over but haven't done a
director segment yet.
Since I've been watching a lot of Asian films
this month, I might as well pick an Asian director
to catch up to this month.
This month's director is Takashi Miike.
This guy comes up with an average of 4 movies
per year.
Most of them are violent yakuza films.
For these last days of July, I'll be watching five films
from Miike. Each film will be a different genre.
I'll do a horror, musical, a children's movie, a yakuza sci fi, and a yakuza drama.

The only films I've seen from this director are:
Audition
Ichi the Killer
Visitor Q
Fudoh: The New Generation
Dead or Alive
Sukiyake Western Django
Izo
Bird People in China
Gozu

Tonight's movie is a horror.


One Missed Call
This is the original Japanese version.
I haven't seen the American remake.
This was some spooky stuff.
It didn't quite feel like a Takashi Miike film,
but it was well made.
The imagery of these "ghosts" are crazy.
There's a lot similarities between this
"The Grudge" and "The Ring" (haven't seen the
Japanese version of these two but I imagine
it was the same thing).

Favorite part: the hands and face that appear
in the kitchen cabinet.
Might have some nightmares tonight.
Overall:
A little better than okay for a Miike film.