Sunday, November 24, 2013

Oscar Sunday: Hamlet

Hamlet IMDb
Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare story. I read it during my senior year in high school and saw two movie versions of it. Tonight, I saw the classic movie version that won the Oscar.  It brought back some of the love I had with the story.  Of course, this is an old movie and it doesn't hold its magic like other classics do.  The reason I like this story is because of Hamlet's behavior.  I like how he pretends his madness in one way and in reality he is truly mad.  Shakespeare is known for tragedies and this is surely one of them.  Everyone dies.  No mercy.  Revenge.  Love.  People going nuts.  That's all part of the story.  This movie was pretty good.  Not my favorite film version of Hamlet. My favorite one is still the Kenneth Branaugh version.  There was something missing in this classic version.  I didn't quite feel the power of the story.  But again, for its time, this is alright.  I would recommend this as one time deal if you haven't seen it yet.  Not a must buy for me.  Check out the Kenneth Branaugh version where Kate Winslet plays Ophelia.  That one is worth buying.