Monday, November 18, 2013

Only God Forgives (2013)

Only God Forgives IMDb
I went in with low expectations after hearing mixed reviews and people walking out when it first premiered at Cannes this year.  It wasn't that bad.  I liked it actually.  It is directed by the same guy who did "Drive."  This has almost the same feel and vibe as "Drive" except more darker.  It's an artsy film with lots of graphic violence.  Kind of reminded me of a few David Lynch movies.  Right off the bat it starts out messed up: The main character's brother gets killed after killing a young prostitute.  The movie turns to a revenge flick with consequences.   It is a slow trip in the streets of Thailand.  It felt like an 80's grindhouse flick.  I can see why a lot of people hated the movie.  The main character wasn't developed good enough and the ending was left a bit incomplete.  I like that it was different but I feel like it was trying too hard to be different.  I did like the karaoke finish, though.  Kudos for that awesome title too: Only God Forgives.  Overall, I would recommend this for those interested.  It's okay to see once but go with low expectations. I am in borderline between seeing it just once or maybe buy it someday for another experience.