Sunday, August 11, 2013

Elysium (2013)

Elysium IMDb
District 9 with a budget and instead of aliens we have badass robots.  District 9 was one of my favorite movies I saw in 2009 so seeing this follow up from the same director (Neil Blomkamp) was a necessity.  Matt Damon didn't do it for me for the most part and I didn't really care much about the characters but damn the story was pretty awesome except for the dramatic daughter with leukemia story.  The ending was a little too Hollywood but certain moments and the story as a whole made this movie good in my book.  First of all, I like the concept from the very beginning.  Didn't care much about the flashbacks.  The best parts of the movie are the crazy sequences with our main villain who is played by the main actor from District 9.  There were some good surprises there.  Good special effects.  Good build up sequences.  So for a summer popcorn movie, this one delivers.  As a movie with a lot of heart, this one is far from it.  Most of the story can be a metaphor for illegal immigrants trying to get to the United States for better quality of life.  Hmm! Something to think about.  Nah, let's just keep being selfish and superficial.