Saturday, June 28, 2014

Beneath The Planet of the Apes

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes comes out in two weeks so my friend Casey and I decided to do a Planet of the Apes marathon/countdown.  I've only seen the original version, the Tim Burton version, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  Tonight, we revisited the original and followed by this one here.  I love the original movie. I saw it for the first time three years ago for one of my Shame on Me Nights.  Beneath the Planet of the Apes starts where the first one ends.  It gets weird.  The first half is pretty much Apes awesomeness,  then the second half gets trippy when the movie introduces another species. They are telepathic humans. So we have apes, stupid brainless humans, and telepathic humans. Of course, we have our main character which is another astronaut that was sent to find the crew from the first movie.  It's a madhouse! War erupts towards the end where almost everyone dies.  I just spoiled it. Oops.  I didn't say how so that's still a mystery to those who haven't seen it.  Overall,  this was okay.  Different from the original but okay.
Next week, I'll check out the next movie in the series. For those unfamiliar with the mythology and story, basically,  the new movies (Rise and Dawn) are kind of like prequels to these older movies.