Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Western Wednesday: Rio Bravo

Got to see this John Wayne classic.  I liked it a lot better than The Searchers.  It's got comedy, western drama, and a little bit of romance.  My only complaint was that the villains weren't really developed.  I mean, I don't think there were any scenes where the villains were alone or doing something without our heroes there.  I guess, I'm not used to it.   I'm used to seeing ruthless villains have their moments here and there.  Anyways, this was a good old western.  Right in the beginning, Sheriff John T. (John Wayne) captures a bad guy who happens to be the brother of our main villain.  The Sheriff has two helpers: Dude and Stumpy.  They get trouble by our main villain who wants his brother out of jail.  The trio try to protect the town.  Another guy joins their group.  This movie is more about the moments and the characters rather than the story.  The Sheriff has his eye on a good looking lady named Feathers.  They share flirtatious but serious moments.  Not much going on concerning shootouts.  That happens towards the end.  It was cool to see a Western that is not too serious. 
Famous singer, Dean Martin plays Dude, a drunk deputy. 
Would of wanted some more guns and other typical Western violence but 
not bad for a straight up American John Wayne Western.