Thursday, February 27, 2014

Public Speaking

At first glance, I thought this documentary was going to be boring.  Don't know anything about Fran Lebowitz so why did I see a doc about her?  Well,  Martin Scorsese directed this.  That's enough to get my attention and I'm glad I did because it wasn't that boring.  It was short and inspirational.  Yeah, there's some boring parts cause most of the time we are watching Fran Lebowitz speak at a famous New York restaurant.  Some of the things she says are pretty funny and awesome.  This doc is Fran Lebowitz, a  famous writer from the 70's and a voice for a bunch of independent women.  She speaks her mind her about art, race and gender issues, gay rights, and being a great writer.  She walks the streets of New York at times and man she makes a good point in one of those scenes.  Lots of people in cities, just walk and look at their phones and ignore the city around them.  They're missing out on most of the experience in enjoying the city life.  I walk Downtown Austin during my work break about three times a week, and every single time, I walk to enjoy everything.  Take in the city I'm proud of living in.  I love that this doc references Taxi Driver quite a bit. 
Overall, better than expected inspiring documentary.
Good to see if you're into literature, writing, art or if you're all into women power.