Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mirageman

[To explore cinema from all over the world,
every 4th Thursday of every month I see a Foreign Film
that I haven't seen before. Even though, I see more than
one foreign film a month, it's mandatory on this Thursday.
Includes any film that is not American or Asian.]

Foreign Film Thursday Presents:


Mirageman
Here we have a clever low budget superhero movie from Chile.
Except, the hero don't have super powers.
He can't climb like Spiderman, he can't fly like Superman,
and he's not rich like Batman.
He's a human being.
From beginning to end, this was very entertaining.
There's no big explosions and there's no cgi stuff.
This easily became one of my favorite superhero movies
of all time.
I like that they focus a lot on the human side of this character
rather than the hero. This guy sees something wrong,
he gets into his outfit. But it takes him several minutes
to put it all on rather than a few seconds. That's realistic.
There's a lot of ass kicking. And it gets a little too violent
towards the end.
I first heard this because of Fantastic Fest.
The director came to Austin this year to promote his latest,
Mandrill, and that movie ended up winning Best Film
at the festival. The review stated that he also won two years back
with Mirageman. I can see why.

This is a must buy.
Grade: A.