Monday, October 19, 2009

Caliber 9

Gangster Film Night
[Being a big fan of the gangster genre, every third Monday
of every month, I will see a Gangster film that I haven't seen before.]


Caliber 9
I went to I Luv Video and I found a rare dvd copy of
this italian gangster flick.
This came out in 1972.
It's the second film I saw from director Fernando Di Leo.
You have to have an aquired taste for these classic italian flicks.
It's more character driven than action.
The first five minutes of this was my favorite part.
It's probably one of my favorite openers when it comes
to gangsters flicks in general.
I like most of the cinematography. Well done.
But for the most part, I felt that this needed more
better scenes. I didn't like the main character (Hugo).
I did enjoy the scenes with Rocco (the psychopathic gangster).
The plot was okay, but it could of been a lot better.
I must add that I saw the English dubbed version of this
movie because the original Italian version is extremely rare.
So seeing this dubbed version did not make the experience better.
The Boss aka Wipeout is so far my favorite movie
from Fernando Di Leo.

Grade: B- (because of that bad ass opening but was alright as a whole)

And because I'm a nice guy and this movie is hard to find,
I decided to put the intro on here.
Seriously, this is one of the best intros ever in a gangster film.
Watch it all and you'll see.


Here's the trailer: