Thursday, October 20, 2011

Graveyard of Honor

YAKUZA NIGHT THURSDAY

Every third Thursday of every month of this year,
I'll be watching a yakuza flick.
Love the yakuza genre but haven't really seen a whole lot.
There's a lot of classics out there.
This will help me explore these Japanese movies.
I'll be watching a few from directors,
Kinji Fukasaku, and Takashi Miike, as well other
yakuza flicks from the 60's and to the present.


Graveyard of Honor
Another Kinji Fukasaku classic.
I saw the remake by Takashi Miike one year ago.
I do prefer the remake more.
But, this original was pretty good.
It's fast paced and short.
Kinji Fukasaku came out with a crap load
of yakuza movies back to back during the 70's.
I think he did like 3-4 yakuza movies a year.
So, all his films look and feel the same.
This one wasn't anything special in my book.
But, I'm being bias because I kept thinking about
the remake in my head while watching this one.
I wish I would of saw this one first.
This original starts out with a little documentary about
the main character before jumping to the movie.
This guy is psycho and ruthless.
But the fast paced editing and dialogue
made it hard for me to follow the movie.
I must also note that I was drinking a 6 pack of Asahi beers.

Check out the remake.
Good character story with lots of crazy moments.