Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kenny Begins / The Legend is Alive / Buratino, Son of Pinocchio

Fantastic Fest is here.
This is a bad ass genre film festival in Austin
at the Alamo Drafthouse that shows
a shit load of movies from around the world.
For more on that here's the site:
http://www.fantasticfest.com/
Since I only have a day badge,
I can only see movies that start before 6pm.

3 different films I saw today.


Kenny Begins
The first one and that one I liked most of the three is
this Swedish Sci-fi flick.
It was a little cheesy but still funny.
I liked some of these characters.
Shampoo scene was good.
And I liked the music they had throughout the film,
especially, "Woolly Bully."

The trailer doesn't have subtitles but you'll get the idea.



The Legend is Alive
The second screening I went to was this Vietnamese Kung Fu flick.
I expected a lot of kung fu scenes.
There was hardly any. The fighting scenes that it had
was not very exciting. Most of the story is a drama.
It is about this mentally disabled fighter and his relationship
with his mother. There's some sad scenes in here.
Good movie to watch on Mother's Day.
I was a little disappointed because I was expecting some good
kung fu scenes.



Buratino, Son of Pinocchio
The last screening for today was this Estonian/Russian fairytale
musical. The concept is interesting.
I liked some of the shots.
But again, I was disappointed because I was expecting a musical.
There was a few songs here and there but
it was mostly straight up dialogue.
I liked the world the director created here and
all the things that happen.
This is definitely a weird kind of movie that you hardly see out there.
It almost had like a Troma feel to it (Toxic Avenger stuff).


That wraps it up for me for today.
I will be going Wednesday for one or two more films at this
Festival.