Friday, April 23, 2010

The Brood / Videodrome

Friday at the Grindhouse
and
Catching Up With A Director Segment
Presents:

A David Cronenberg Double Feature

This month, I'll be watching five films I've never seen
before from director David Cronenberg.
The only ones I've seen are:
The Fly
Crash
Spider
A History of Violence
and Eastern Promises.

He's got a lot of other films,
including his early works, which are mostly Canadian exploitation films.
So, to kill two birds with one stone,
tonight's Grindhouse screening are two back to back
exploitation films from Cronenberg.


The Brood
Twisted flick. Loved it.
These "abnormal" kids gave me the chills.
This movie reminded me of "The Fly."
It gives you some information little by little,
then at the end, all hell breaks loose.

Badass cinema, my friends.




Videodrome
This one is one hell of a trip.
My mind was going crazy halfway through.
I have to rewatch this again to understand
it a little more.
"Long live the new flesh."
The third act has a Taxi Driver feel to it.
All the crazy stuff that happens here is unbelievable.
Technology, hallucinations, mind warps
are fused together and this came out way before "The Matrix."

My body kept wanting to go to sleep.
I drifted away a few times during this movie, but
from what I remembered, overall I thought it was alright.
A little too bizarre for me.