Monday, April 13, 2009

3 Extremes

I love Asian cinema. They do things differently.
In a given month I probably watch
two or three asian films.
As of today, I would like the 2nd Monday
of every month to be Asian Cinema Monday.
I'll still continue watching Asian films
here and there, but it's going to be
mandatory every 2nd Monday.
Unless: it's a holiday or something comes up.
On Foreign Thursdays, I'll be watching any film
that is not American or Asian.
So today is the second Monday.
Let's see what we have, oh yes, it's
Asian Cinema Monday.

Asian Cinema Monday Presents:
Photobucket
3 Extremes
Three different stories from three different directors.
One from China, one from Korea, the other from Japan.
Each story is way different than the others
but share one thing in common:
the characters go into extreme in their actions.

The first part is called, "Dumplings."
This chinese movie is the sickest and the most
disturbing out of the three. But it was my favorite.
Photobucket

The second part is from my favorite Korean director,
Chan-Wook Park, it is called, "Cut."
This is one is kind of bloody
but very artistic. I didn't get the ending.
Photobucket

The third and final part is the one I was waiting for.
It is from none other than Takashi Miike.
This is called, "Box."
Although, this japanese story was very weird,
it didn't meet my expectations from a Miike film.
It wasn't over the top crazy shit he usually does.
This movie was mostly very quiet and
subtle. But it did remind me of a David Lynch movie.
Photobucket

So overall, 3 Extremes as a whole, was just
a little better than okay.
This was mostly bizarre and shocking
with some horror.
I'll never eat a dumpling ever again.